Friday, February 6, 2009

Blog #1




The first piece of art (above) I chose is one that I have always been attracted to. "Starry Night" by Van Gogh. This painting is one of the earliest and most famous examples of expressionism. When I look at this painting I feel a sense of calmness which is ironic because when Van Gogh painted this he was locked away in a cell. When I look at this painting, which hangs in my living room, it reminds me that even though things may seem crazy in life there is peace and calmness out there.








The second piece (above) of art I chose was a self portrait. The figure in the painting is my son at the age of 5. It was his christmas present to me which he did at school. He is a part of me and this painting is a reflection of me. I love it becuase the lips are shaped like a heart which I take as meaning "good heart" which he wears for everyone to see. The eyes are bright and open like his mind.



The third piece (above) of art I chose was a painting called The Kiss. Gustave Kilmt painted this in 1907-8. Gustave called this style his "golden style". I love all the color and intricate shapes that he painted into this scene. When you look at this painting you feel love, warmth and happiness. Most people want this kind of intimate love. I see two people in love, kneeling in a meadow of flowers during springs with a blanket wrapped around them, enjoying their time together. It is a very loving scene.








4 comments:

  1. wow! Starry Night & The Kiss are two of my favorite art pieces! You are soo right on to choose these :)
    The portrait your son drew is adorable! I love the heart S2 shape lips, too cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. If a piece of art, makes you think a reflexion it's a true piece of art, I mean there's no question that this painting it's amazing it screams Love, Security, trust and so many other values, I'm intrigue by the author, I'm gonna search more of his work

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like "The Kiss" I've never seen this painting before and normally I don't enjoy the color yellow at all, but for some reason or another I like the yellow in this painting. I agree with you that I'm one of those people out there looking for "this kind of warmth and happiness" and wanting this kind of intimate love. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ive never seen the painting "the kiss" before and i find it very beautiful and interesting. i also think the art by your son is very cute and reminds me of the things that i use to make for my parents ;)

    ReplyDelete